Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Spelt and buckwheat pancakes

It's been ages since I wrote anything in this blog. So, I am going to try again. I really need a simpler way of locating recipes I use often. For some strange reason, I can't cook without looking at the recipe - even if I cooked the same thing dozens of times. 

Today's recipe is for spelt and buckwheat pancakes. I came across this recipe years ago in a book called "Rise and Dine Canada. Savory Secrets from Canada's Bed and Breakfast Inns" by Marcy Claman. I still don't know what possessed me to buy it. I use only two recipes from it. This pancake recipe is one of them. For some reason it is named Spelt Pancakes even though there is as much buckwheat flower in it as spelt. I discovered this recipe when my son was going through his 'pancake' stage. Basically, he was eating only pancakes. The pancake stage ended awhile ago but the recipe stayed on our family menu. So, here it is in a slightly modified over time version:


Spelt and Buckwheat Pancakes
from Marcy Claman's "Rise and Dine Canada"


Ingredients:

- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour,
- 1/2 cup white spelt flour,
- 1 cup buttermilk (250 ml tab),
- 1 egg,
- salt,
- 1/6 cup of boiling water,
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Method:
- mix both flours, buttermilk, salt and egg,
- mix boiling water and baking soda and pour it into the flour mixture
- mix everything well
- spoon batter onto lightly greased or non stick hot pan.

I use a tablespoon of batter per pancake. My kids prefer their pancakes small.  the original recipe suggests adding blueberries into the batter. I don't like it. Blueberries work better on top of pancake together with maple syrup.




Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home